Kevin Pietersen has launched a foul-mouthed tirade on Twitter following his dumping from the England side less than three months before the first Ashes Test.
The impulsive superstar announced he had been axed from the Twenty20 and one-day sides for the upcoming series against Pakistan on the social networking site several hours before the squads were announced.
“Yep.. Done for rest of summer!!,” he told followers on account kevinpp24.
“Man of the World Cup T20 and dropped from the T20 side too.. It’s a f*@!% up!! Surrey have signed me for l …(sic)’.”
Pietersen is understood to be a novice in the Twitter department and he showed his inexperience in his post being cut short by the character limit.
The message has since been deleted but not before being picked up by the media in England and he is expected to face disciplinary action.
Pietersen’s breaking of team news revived memories of Australian Phil Hughes revealing his axing from the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston last year on Twitter.
At least the young New South Welshman kept his comments clean.
It is the first time the 30-year-old South African product has been dropped from the England team and it followed a horrible run with the bat.
After being a central figure in England’s breakthrough triumph at the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean in May, the flamboyant right-hander has been a flop during the English summer.
In a season where the ball has dominated the bat in England, Pietersen has made 232 runs in nine Test innings against Bangladesh and Pakistan.
He had a highest score of 33 in five outings against Australia in their five-match one-day series that ended in early July.
Pietersen is renowned for his bulletproof belief but he admitted before last week’s Lord’s Test against Pakistan that he is battling for confidence.
The opening Ashes Test starts on November 25 in Brisbane and Pietersen is still very much expected to tour Australia.
Despite his troubles, he still remains England’s most dangerous batsman.
The ECB twice delayed the England squad announcement on Tuesday.
Pietersen’s situation has not been helped by the breakdown of his relationship with county Hampshire.
The London-based batsman complained about having to make the trip to Southampton and that led to Hampshire ignoring England requests to select him in subsequent matches this season.
Pietersen tried to tone down his aggressive comments in an ECB squad announcement statement later on Tuesday.
“I have no issue with the selectors omitting me from the limited overs squads and my sole focus now is working on my game ahead of an exciting winter,” he said in the carefully considered response.
“I would also like to add my huge thanks to Surrey for giving me this opportunity.”
National selector Geoff Miller said Pietersen just needed more batting.
“Kevin has proved on numerous occasions that he is a world class player and we know he’ll benefit from getting more time in the middle to work on his batting and get his game back to the level he has shown throughout his career,” Miller said.
Pietersen’s indiscretion followed reports that England team management is keen on banning players from using Twitter during the Ashes.
He is not the first English cricketer to run into trouble over Twitter use, allrounder Tim Bresnan and U/19 captain Azeem Rafiq were both disciplined for expletive-filled Tweets.