Skip to content
Ocean and Islands Programme Issues
- Management of ocean, coastal and land-based resources.
- Sustainability of ocean, coastal and island ecosystems.
- Uncontrolled and poorly planned development practices in the past
- Unsustainable management of marine resources
- Unsustainable development of coastal zones
- Need to minimise degradation of natural resources and protect biodiversity
- Increased risk of flooding to coastal settlements
- Land degradation
- Need for increased assessment and development of onshore and offshore mineral and energy resources
- Inadequate human resources
- Limited availability of baseline data
- Lack of R & D in mineral resource development
- Bureaucracy and capital intensity deter exploratory work in mineral resources
- Lack of environmental policies and legislation
- Uncoordinated approach to environmental management
- Lack of public awareness of environmental legislation and issues
- Development of practical and internationally acceptable Offshore Mineral Policy for Fiji.
- The operation and maintenance of the Research Vessel Yautalei involving a Memorandum of Understanding between the Mineral Resources Department and SOPAC.
- A coastal erosion assessment for Taqaqe Village on the Coral Coast in Nadroga, Fiji, to determine primary coastal processes, sediment sources and sinks.
- Identifying and collecting data to support the proposed extension of the continental shelf jurisdiction beyond the 200 nautical mile EEZ for Fiji.
- Multibeam mapping to select optimum site for submarine pipeline, in Kinoya, Suva.
- Sedimentation and multibeam survey of Suva Harbour.
- Hydrodynamic study for a proposed reclamation area in Lami, Fiji.
- Environmental monitoring and mapping of the Kiuva lagoon and reef system, east of Viti Levu, Fiji.